Does it not look like Butterscotch is reading along with Son? Just what every reader needs! A book buddy! *g* Kitties are truly a blessing and a friend. *g*
It has been a long, long, LONG day. I was so worried about oversleeping this morning that I woke up several times during the night, which made waking up this morning hard. But, we managed to get up and get out of here on time this morning. We arrived an hour before the tournament an hour before it began so I could help with registration. The kids practiced for a while and the Daughter grew bored and came upstairs to see me where she became an "usher" helping participants find the Kids Gym downstairs where the tournament was being held. The Pine Y is so old and they've added on and on that it's a maze/warren of pathways to different sections of the Y.
The tournament went well, though the kids MA teacher had car difficulties and didn't make it. For four hours. Don't get me started or I will have steam coming out of my ears. However, the MA director was there and kept things going and also acting as a judge. All together we had three judges and fourteen participants. The other MA school that was participated were a lot rougher than we expected. And their sparring/safety pads were different. And by rougher? I mean that they hit with full force while our kids have learned to spar with light contact. It made for a lot of tears today and since they didn't seem to get the memo about not hitting below the belt there were quit a few groans and moans from the male participants on the floor. One child who came from another state to participate went up against the other school and ended up taking a BIG punch to the chest which worried us, however the other school didn't seem particularly concerned. I sound like sour grapes, and I'm not. What I am is incensed that the other school hasn't taught their kids how to sparr without hurting someone, basically they aren't teaching responsible control. Son? Almost quit. And we wouldn't have been upset. The girl, yes girl, he fought hit him with such force I could HEAR the thump from the opposite side of the mat and he burst into tears. For Son to cry? Not good. And he wasn't the only one.
Did I mention I was drawn into service during the tournament? I was point keeper for the sparring rounds. It was an interesting experience.
As for how the kids performed? Daughter received first for Kata in her age group and first for Kata in ALL age groups. She also came in second place for sparring. Son came in second place for Kata (he was so nervous he forgot a part of his Kata) and he received an honorable mention medal for sparring. The other team racked up for Sparring thanks to their rough handling. But, it was a learning experience for the kids and they are happy for having participated and even happier that they were treated in the afternoon to their favorite treats. *g* Daughter picked a piece of cake from their favorite bakery and Son picked a treat from the See's kiosk that opened in the mall this week. (And I saw a fabulous gift idea for Christmas for Daughter- a Fluer de Lis belt buckle! I pointed it out as we were heading to the car and she stopped and ooohed over it a while before we left. And Chris wants the Green Lantern belt buckle he was drooling over. *G*)(Yes, I AM married to a Geek, why do you ask? *g*)
After that we headed to WW to finish up the grocery shopping and then home where we made a quick dinner and have been somehow managing to stay awake so far. However, I think we've about hit our wall, so to speak. *g*
In my reading I have managed to read...... not much. Seriously, it's been a long, but very busy day and I'm only three chapters into the Rachel Gibson book. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better and slower. *g*
This all leads to now. Time for me to head offline and get some much needed (and wanted) sleep. I hope y'all had an amusing and fun Saturday. I wish a Blessed Sunday for y'all. Goodnight, B.
Exercise: Can I count all the walking around the labyrinth of the Pine Y as well as the mall and WW?

8 comments:
Didn't the judges have anything to say about the "rough" housing of the other participants?
I love that Fireball is multi-tasking, reading and washing.
Have a good Sunday.
Dru, the rules were told the the participants before the tournament officially began. However, the kids lost their contol (not ours, theirs) and nobody said anything since they were caught up in the excitement. Daughter did say that in the last sparring match, after the boy she was sparring with managed to kick her where she fell off the mat's and hit the floor on her shoulder. AND SHE GOT BACK UP AND ON THE MAT'S! That she stopped holding back and kicked and punched with force. He was wincing after that. I just wish it hadn't come to that.
Butterscotch is a cat but acts like a dog. He has to be around someone almost all the time and Son is his buddy. *g*
I hope you're having a Peaceful Sunday!
I was going to say if I'd been the kids from your group, I'd have stopped holding back after the treatment they got. I'm glad Daughter did. I'd be FURIOUS.
Tori, our kids were just not used to sparring like that, and from what the kids MA teacher has told us before, most DON'T learn like that. Our kids were fair and true to the way they've been taught. And that's all I can ask. As for Daughter not holding back? Well, let's just say I shouldn't have, but was grinning when the boy doubled over at one point. She still lost to him, but she did good and we are very proud of her.
I hope you've had a fantastic day!
WOW. That seems so unfair that the other school used such force. Not to mention, like you said, not exactly a responsible martial arts technique? Sheesh. Luckily no one was more badly injured!!
Christine, some teachers teach their kids to go all out, they don't focus much on control. Our teacher focuses on personal control. There were lots of injuries yesterday and some crying. But, our kids did well and I am proud of everyone of ours who participated.
I hope you had a nice weekend!
Son + Butterscotch. Daughter + Patches. Brandy + Layla. :D
This pic cracked me up becoz ... just look at Butterscotch's legs! :D So cute!
I think it's disgraceful that participants from the other MA school were so rough and they hit below the belt ... literally! The judges should have stopped the sparring and cautioned the culprits!
Jace, and Chris + Midnight. *g* Also Butterscotch, Fireball, Oreo and Pepper all seek me out for attention. Athena goes straight to Son or Daughter. *g*
Butterscotch did look as though he were balancing precariously while reading over Son's shoulder, didn't he? Silly kitty!
I, too, think the judges should have done more. However, I also know the MA Director was desperate to have opponents for us at all. If we hadn't, there wouldn't/won't be another tournament sponsored by the Y. And our MA school's kids deserve it. So, I think there was a touch of fear there that if he said anything to them or offended them that they wouldn't come back. I see two sides to the tournament. My kids-the MA school's kids and the MA director who wants these things FOR the kids. *sigh* A darned if you do, darned if you don't proposition.
Anyway, I hope you have had a delightful weekend!
Post a Comment
What do YOU think?