Book Mom

A Southern Mom who is trying to be less shy and loves books.

Meet Wicket!

Can I just start by saying that yes, we know we have SUCKER written on each of our foreheads?
One of the feral strays we feed (and we want to trap and have fixed when we can afford it) has had a litter of four kittens within the last few weeks. Earlier this week she brought her kittens to our porch while she ate and then later took them off again. Today she brought them back, but there was a big hawk flying over our house (and even landed on the roof once) and the stray left the kittens. Daughter stayed home this evening when Son and I went to our classes at the Y to keep an eye on them while the kittens were asleep in the dog house (we call it a kitty house-we bought it for the strays for the winter here a couple years ago) because we were afraid they'd toddle off and the hawk would get them. Chris was worried enough about the kittens to go straight home from work (instead of working out at the Y) just to help keep an eye out for them. By the time Son and I arrived back home the kittens were still on the porch. Not long after dark their mom (we call her Alice) came back for them. She took two and left one on our porch and another next to a storm drain and she crawled down the drain with the other two. For ten minutes that kitten sat next to the drain crying and I couldn't take it anymore and brought it back on the porch with the other one. We kept an eye on them and hours passed and Alice didn't come back for them so we brought them inside in a box (to keep them away from the other kitties) and fed them. Eventually Alice came back and we set the two kittens outside and partially closed the door so she wouldn't feel threatened. She took one and promptly disappeared again for hours. *sigh* We couldn't leave the last lone kitten outside by itself (it's SMALL), we were worried she'd get lost or hurt. So, we brought her in and again fed her. And waited and waited for Alice to come back. Finally, about 11pm she came back. We set the kitten back outside where she could see her and went in the house, again partially closing the door. The kitten crawled into the dog house and Alice sat in the bushes for twenty minutes. She then ate and WALKED AWAY. She knew where her kitten was, she abandoned the kitten. *sigh* At this point the kitten had been outside for thirty minutes and it was chilly outside so, after Alice walked off we brought her back in and have been taking care of her. I remarked to Daughter that she looked like an Ewok and there was born the name Wicket, after an Ewok from Return of the Jedi. I have no idea what we're going to do with her. She's too young to take to the humane society. Ours won't take kittens younger than six weeks and it's obvious this kitten is at the most four weeks old. She's tiny. Fit in the palm of my hand tiny. And we honestly don't need another kitty, but we can't abandon her. Right now we're keeping her separated from the other kitties and I have no idea how we'll get her to the Vet. But, I have to believe that God will help us find a way to take care of her. So far she's been eating dry food soaked in milk, so she can eat and we have a couple of kitten baby bottles from when we had Turtle. So, please say a prayer that we either find Wicket a home, or find a way to take care of her (vet visit). Anyone want to give an absolutely adorable kitten a home?

Son and I visited the library on the way to the MT Y this evening. He had a movie come in, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.  And I had a book in from Hold! Deb on Arrival-Live at Five (Five Star Mystery Series) by Laurie Moore, a new-to-me author.
Son enjoyed his KidFit class and I had a blast in Zumba.
Oh and before all the kitten drama today began the kids and I went to Aldi, Sam's and WW. We bought our regular menu items for every two weeks at the first two, but at WW we just picked up a few things needed for dinner tomorrow. Like dessert. I forgot to shop for dessert. So, we picked up the ingredients for Chocolate Eclair Dessert. I am begged to make this dessert every Thanksgiving. No pie for us! Trust me when I say it will be gone in 3 days-tops. (I made it before dinner tonight so it has time to set and make the graham crackers soften.) After heading home and putting everything up, the kids and I then packed up all the recyclables and dropped them at the recycling center. We we arrived home after that is when the Kitten drama began.

I'm pretty sure this post makes sense. Sort of. *g* Don't mind me. I'm just exhausted and can barely focus. I hope y'all had an enjoyable Wednesday. I wish a Thankful and Thoughtful Thanksgiving Thursday for y'all. Goodnight, B.

Exercise: 1 hour Zumba.

As for reading? No time today. We've been busy.

10 comments:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wicket is adorable and I'm sending good luck vibes that Wicket will be cared for.

Have a great Thursday.

 

I want to wish you and your family and Happy Thanksgiving!

I love the name Wicket! I pray everything works out. I wonder what the mommy cat was thinking for if this one was the runt of the litter. I know if I'd been in your shoes I would have done the same thing.

I know our vet will often take in abandoned kitties. They care for them at the office then when they're old enough sell them with the shots all done and a package of vet visits, etc. It's similar to a Humane Society adoption just done through the vets office. Might be something to look into after the holiday.

 

Dru, Happy Thanksgiving! Wicket is indeed adorable. *g* Daughter is caring for her and has been very good about it.

I hope you're having a happy and cozy day!

 

Melissa, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! We have to have hope that everything will work out. Wicket is not very old, maybe four weeks tops. Daughter has been taking care of her. Our Vet doesn't do that, we tried to get them to care for an injured stray a few months ago-by turning the cat over to them, but they wouldn't go for it. So, for now she's stuck with us. I hope we can find her a loving home. She's very sweet.

I hope y'al have a blessed and family filled day!

 

Poor little Wicket! I hope you can find her a good home quickly.

 

Tori, We hope we can find her a home, too. But, we have to keep feeding and "fostering" her for now, until she's old enough. She's attached to Daughter as if she's her her Mom. It's very sweet.

I hope you're having a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving.

 

Lucky little Wicket to have you guys to care for her .. at least in the interim until she finds a home. I hope you're able to find a way to get her the care she needs at the vet. Maybe a cat shelter will at least check her out medically and give her her basic shots for whatever you can afford? And make sure she doesn't have fleas, too...

She's so sweet looking!

 

Sweet baby ... I found a 4 wk old kitty once, too -- fed her kitten milk replacer and wet food mixed together. If her tummy acts upset you can 'burp' her by swabbing her rear with a damp cotton swab.

Such a cutie!! She has a lot to be thankful for this year.

Have you considered trapping Alice and getting her fixed and then re-releasing her?

 

Christine, the kids are already attached to her, so finding her a home might be hard. She may be a permanent addition.
We'll get her to the Vet, hopefully soon. No fleas, thank goodness, no eggs for them either. It may be too cold for them, but we've checked.
I think she's too young for shots. She's around 4 weeks. Shots can't be given until at least 6 weeks.

I hope you're having a fabulous day after Thanksgiving!

 

Marianne, we're feeding her kitten replacer milk. But, we can't get her to eat solid kitten food mixed with/soaked in the replacer.
We raised Layla from when she was days old, so the trick with the cotton ball is well known here. *g*

Wicket is absolutely adorable. She had stolen our hearts.

She also has sharp little teeth. She's managed to nibble through two baby kitten bottle nipples!

We have to wait until Alice's other kitten are old enough and then we hope to trap her. One thing we have to deal with though, is that the local low cost spay/neuter place still cost over $50. That's the LOW cost clinic here.

I hope you had a wonderful and Happy Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?